It’s one of the most important things we can do to help protect salmon. It will take more than a series of lone voices pleading to those who are impacting wild salmon to have an impact.
Strength in numbers. “Together we are stronger.” “United we stand, divided we fall.”
“Out of sight, out of mind” is all too true when it comes to the average citizen. So make yourself visible and your voice heard on important issues! Organizing can be anything from arranging group screenings of documentary films about various issues to holding a rally in front of the offices or homes of those who are compromising wild salmon to strategy sessions with others! When possible, try to have
Some key steps in organizing;
- Know what your focus and goal is; it’s important to be clear about what you want to achieve.
- Keep tabs on steps you take to organize as it will come in handy later!
- Pick up the phone and call people! Emails are great, but sometimes hearing another human voice gives others the motivation to get involved.
- Get creative! Clever signs, slogans and images are important in getting the message out.
- Media and photos. “A picture speaks a thousand words”. It’s up to all of us to document what’s going on and share it with the world. Taking pictures and videographing is a way to inspire others as well as hold individuals accountable.